Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Call Now. Se Habla Español.

What Kind of Doctor Should I See for a Shoulder Injury?

Doctor for a Shoulder Injury

Table of Contents

If you’ve injured your shoulder at work, you may be wondering what kind of doctor you should be seeing. Most likely you need to schedule an appointment with a workers’ comp orthopedic doctor. Also referred to as orthopedic surgeons these doctors diagnose and treat disorders of the tendons, ligaments, muscles, joints, and bones. Early diagnosis and treatment are critical for recovering from shoulder injuries, so don’t hesitate to make an appointment.

Are you unsure if you need to visit a workers’ compensation orthopedic doctor for your shoulder injury? Go over some signs that it’s time to visit the doctor.

Popping Sound During the Injury

Did you hear a popping sound when you injured your shoulder? This could be a sign that your AC joint separated or you tore your rotator cuff.

These injuries can get progressively worse without treatment, so visit an orthopedic doctor soon.

Shoulder Instability

Shoulder instability can also occur after an injury and usually is a sign that your shoulder is dislocated. If your dislocation is due to an injury, it’s likely an anterior or inferior dislocation.

An anterior dislocation occurs when the humerus slides out of the joint and moves forward, while an inferior dislocation occurs when the humerus moves downward. More than 95 percent of dislocations are anterior dislocations and typically happen if you fall on your outstretched arm.

Shoulder Weakness

Have you experienced shoulder weakness as a result of your injury? Weakness is often a sign of a large rotator cuff tear or a rupture. More than three million people injure their rotator cuffs annually, so you are far from alone if this has happened to you. While most injuries are due to wear and tear, significant trauma can also cause a tear or rupture.

Your orthopedic doctor will likely begin with conservative treatments, but if your condition is severe, you might require surgery to repair it

Painful Clavicle

Often, a shoulder injury is accompanied by clavicle pain. This is most common when the injury is due to a fall. For example, if you slip and fall at work, the force can transmit to your clavicle when your shoulder connects with the floor.

This can be very painful and could be a sign of a fracture. Proper care will allow your fracture to heal correctly. Also, your orthopedic doctor will manage the pain so you won’t have to suffer from your injury.

Pain That Won’t Go Away

Does it seem like you’ve been dealing with pain for ages? You’ve rested your shoulder, applied ice, and tried over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications.

No matter what you do, the pain is still there. This is yet another sign that you need to visit an orthopedic specialist.

Pain is the body’s way of telling you that something is wrong. After you receive a diagnosis, you can begin treatment.

Don’t Delay If You Have a Shoulder Injury

Shoulder injuries can range from mild to severe. If you are dealing with symptoms, schedule an appointment so you can get the care you need.

With the right care, your shoulder injury will heal so you can get back to work and resume your normal life.

Call (888) 590-4030 today to find an experienced workers’ comp doctor near you to help you recover from your shoulder injury. Sam-day appointments are available.

Find Workers’ Comp Doctor Near You

Medical Services

Latest posts

Contact Us