Do you suffer from neck or back pain? Do you sit hunched over at a desk all day? Or, perhaps you were recently in an auto or work-related accident?
According to the BLS, 2.8 million nonfatal workplace injuries occur every year in the U.S. Chances are, you too might suffer an on-the-job injury.
If you’re looking for a non-narcotic solution to decreasing your back pain, then TENS electrotherapy may be just the antidote for you.
But you might be wondering how to use a TENS unit for lower back pain? We’ve got you covered and will share with you the best way to relieve your pain from home and without pills.
As always, if you are curious if any new treatment is right for you to consult your physician. If you have a pacemaker or are pregnant, be sure to talk with your doctor before starting any TENS treatment.
Electrotherapy for Back Pain
Historically, if you were interested in electrotherapy for your back pain, you would have to go to a licensed chiropractor and hope your insurance covered it. Now, thanks to improvements in technology you can enjoy the benefits of electrotherapy right in the comfort of your own home.
A TENS unit is used to send electric stimuli through your nerves and muscles, helping to relieve the tension caused by chronic poor posture or an accident.
TENS stands for transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation and is a small device that allows you to send small shocks into your muscles and nerve system. Low back pain accounts for an estimated 149 million days of lost work each year in the U.S.
But you don’t have to suffer from back pain anymore. Electrotherapy from a TENS unit can help relieve your pain.
How to Use a TENS Unit for Lower Back Pain
To use a TENS unit, you will place either two or four pads on the affected area. You always want to be sure you use the pads in pairs as they work together. One alone will not be effective.
Here are ten helpful tips on how best to use TENS unit for back pain:
- Place the pads on either side of the affected area
- Be sure the pads aren’t touching
- Rearrange the pads and experiment with the distance between them as well as the direction they are angled around the sore spot
- Surround the painful area with the pads on either side or spread out for larger areas
- Put a pad on each side and flank the spinal cord for pain across your shoulders or neck
- Turn on the machine and start at the lowest level
- Slowly increase the level until you can start to feel the relief from the pain
- Leave the TENS unit on for 20-30 minutes but don’t leave the pads on the skin for long periods without giving your nerves and skin some relief
- Take the pads off and clean the skin beneath
- Repeat as necessary
As you become more comfortable with using your TENS unit, you can start to adjust the TENS settings to find the perfect level of electrotherapy for you.
Get Help Now For Your Back Pain
Learning how to use a TENS unit for lower back pain can take some time. You will need to adjust the settings until you find just the right level for you.
Also, alternate the locations of the pads to find just the right spot to relieve your pain.
If you find that you can’t treat your back pain on your own, then reach out to a professional right away. Here at Workers Comp Doctor, we are the patient advocate working tirelessly to fight to get the right treatment for you.
Call (888) 590-4030 now to find an experienced doctor near you that will help you with your lower back pain.